Thanks for visiting my blog.

Het zou leuk zijn wanneer je een berichtje achterlaat. :-)
I would appreciate a little message. :-)

Hierbij wil ik Petra bedanken want dankzij haar geweldige site,
www.poohbeers.eigenstart.nl, ben ik met de bouw van mijn poppenhuis begonnen.

Thanks to Petra. Without her nice site, www.poohbeers.eigenstart.nl, I would never been started with my doll house.

Ik probeer de dingen die ik maak zo goed mogelijk te omschrijven maar er kunnen soms typefoutjes in de tekst staan dus controleer van te voren even of het allemaal klopt.

The thing I create I put on my blog. Although I try to make no mistakes it's possible that something went wrong so please check before you make a copy.

donderdag 29 november 2012

Sinterklaas

I was just explaining to Natalia who Sinterklaas is. But while I was writing it down I realized that it's a strange story.

It's a man on a horse that rides on the roofs of our houses during the night. He has a lot of helpers called Zwarte Piet (black Peter). On the 5th of December he and his helpers are traveling around the Netherlands and drop presents down the chimney. When you don't have a fireplace they came through the heating system and sometimes through the door.
They come into the house. The children put a shoe nearby the fireplace (nowadays by the door) with a carrot, bread for the horse....and sometimes water and drawings for Sinterklaas also.

When I was younger we always ate hotchpot with carrots during the time that Sinterklaas was in our country.

Sinterklaas was a Saint who lived in Turkey.
While I'm reading my story I think everybody that doesn't know who that guy is declares me nuts.
Today Sinterklaas lives in Spain and he's coming to the Netherlands by boat. This Saint was a real person who lived in Turkey in a place called Myra around the year 300. He was a very generous person that shared his belongings with the poor people. He died on the 6th of December so that's the day the children find their presents in or nearby their shoe.


When you go to Sinterklaas You tube you can see how we Dutch people celebrate this party....so I'm not crazy but when I wrote this down I really thought people will think I'm crazy.




Sinterklaas You tube

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Hello Dorien,
    I love to hear folklore and stories from other cities and countries. It's fascinating to see how different holidays are from one place to another, and also how similar they can be in certain ways.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Dear Giac,
    It felt a bit strange when I was writing this down in my poor English.
    Hugs back.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Oh Dorien, ik voel helemaal met je mee :D (GROTE LOL)!!! Ik heb namelijk pas aan iemand in Australiƫ ook beschreven wie Sinterklaas was en hoe het gevierd werd :D!! Ik kan je zeggen dat er zeker gedacht zal zijn: die is "lunatic" ;)!! Terwijl ik het verhaal opschreef ging hetzelfde door me heen aan gedachten als jij nu.......maar uh troost je: we zijn gewone "nuchtere" Hollanders met een leuke traditie als Sinterklaas!!
    Groetjes, Ilona

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Hahaha...Dankjewel voor je lieve en leuke reactie. Wat leuk om te lezen dat er mensen zijn die met dezelfde gedachten leven.
    Groetjes Dorien

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen